Trampoline jumping is a fun activity for your kids and is a great investment to keep them happy. There are numerous health benefits associated with trampolining. Kids don’t think much much about the health benefits as long as it is fun for them.
But how do you pick the best trampolines for your kids? Are they safe for play? How to ensure that your kids do not get injured while using it? Read on to find out as we list the best kids trampolines out there.
List of best trampolines for kids in 2017A list of the best kids trampolines out there in the market.
|The Original Toy Company Fold & Go Trampoline||- Easy assembly, setup in 5 minutes|
- 36 inch diameter
- rated for upto 150 pounds
- Safety handle with foam for safety
- Weighs 16.9 pounds, easy to move around
- Manufacturer recommended age of 3 - 7 years
|Little Tikes 3' Trampoline||- Minimum assembly|
- 36 inch diameter
- rated for upto 55 pounds
- Safety handle bar with foam for safety
- Weighs 15.2 pounds, easy to move around
- Manufacturer recommended age of 3 - 6 years
|Little Tikes 7' Trampoline||- Easy to assemble|
- 88.8 inch/ 7.4 feet in diameter
- rated for upto 100 pounds
- Protective netting
- Weighs 73.7 pounds, for outdoor use only
- Manufacturer recommended age of 3 - 10 years
|Bazoongi Bouncer Trampoline||- Galvanized springs|
- 6 legs for extra stability
- Removable support handle with two height settings
- Protective netting
- Rated for 100 pounds
- Weighs 20.3 pounds
|Pure Fun Super Jumper Kids Trampoline with Handrail||- 48" in diameter|
- Galvanized steel springs
- Cushioned support handle for extra stability
- Rated for 100 pounds
- Weighs 24 pounds
|SkyBound Super 7 Trampoline||- 7 feet structure|
- Galvanized steel frame
- Safety enclosure net
- Rated for 105 pounds
- Manufacturer recommended age 3 - 10 years
- Meets the US ASTM trampoline safety requirements
- Weight 52 pounds
|GYMENIST Portable & Foldable Trampoline||- 36" in diameter|
- Easy assembly
- Rated for 150 pounds
- Manufacturer recommended age 3 - 7 years
- Weight 14 pounds
|Bazoongi 48-Inch Bouncer Trampoline||- 48" in diameter|
- 6 legs for extra stability
- Padded safety bar with adjustable height
- Rated for 110 pounds
- Weight 20 pounds
|Skywalker 8-Feet Round Trampoline with Safety Enclosure Combo||- 8 feet in diameter|
- Enclosure net can be connectly directly to jump mat
- Rated for 150 pounds
- Weight 80 pounds, for outdoor use only
- Galvanized rust resistant steel frame
|Kangaroo's 36" Kids Trampoline||- 36 inches in diameter|
- Cushioned support handle for stability
- Rated for 150 pounds
- Weight 16.4 pounds, for outdoor use only
- Manufacturer recommended age 5 - 10 years
How to pick the best trampolines for kids?
When it comes to picking the right trampolines for your children, the primary focus should be on safety. You want to ensure that your kids are safe and at the same time are having a good time.
Most trampolines for kids are built considering their target audiences in mind. They are designed with features that can make their use safe. Safety handles, cushioned frame, low bounce height, safety netting or enclosure are all features aimed at making trampolines safe for children.
When shopping to pick the right trampoline, consider these features:
- Size and radius of the trampoline
- Weight capacity
- Build type and material
- Recommended manufacturer age
- Safety features
Size and radius of the trampoline
The size of the trampoline determines how much space your kids have to safely land without risking slipping off. generally, a jumping pad of 3 feet or 36 inches in diameter is the most common size you will find in the market. These are the standard starting size but can go upwards to 8 feet wide pads too.
While a 3 feet pad is more than enough for your kid, it doesn’t hurt to get a pad which is an extra foot wide.
While manufacturers do not advertise or show that more than one child can jump on the trampoline at a time, it is still possible provided there is space available. But we recommended not to do this to avoid any injury.
3 or 4 feet wide jumping pads can be stored and used indoors as well due to their compact size. Anything bigger than that maybe heavier and will, of course, take more space and is not an ideal choice if you are short on space.
The weight capacity of the trampoline dictates the safe weight limit which the trampoline can withstand. This is a very important factor to consider while buying the best trampolines for kids.
Putting extra weight than the recommended weight can make the jumping pad or the bounce system to fail and this will damage the trampoline also.
Most mini trampolines aimed at kids are rated up to 100 pounds and some models can handle up to 150 pounds. For the safety of your kids, it is always advised to not go beyond the rated weight limit and not overload the trampoline.
Build type and material
While there are not many parts in a trampoline, the parts there are should be of high quality to ensure that the trampoline is a good one.
The jumping mat is made up of woven fibers or of artificial fibers like polyethylene or nylon.
People wrongly assume that the jumping mat is what causes the bounce in the trampoline but that is not the case. The bounce is caused by either springs or bungee cords that are fastened to the jumping cord and the trampolines external frame.
The springs are generally made of galvanized stainless steel to prevent rusting and corrosion.
The external frame of the trampoline is also made of galvanized steel. Safety pads made of foam is used to cover the frame as well as the edges so that the risk of injury is reduced.
Recommended manufacturer age
Most mini trampolines are aimed at children 3 years of age and above up to 10 years old.
Most manufacturers build their products keeping this age group in mind and tend to apply the safety recommendations that will help this group.
When buying a trampoline, always make sure that you double check the recommended age just to be sure that the trampoline is suitable for your kids.
Most mini trampolines for kids will have the standard safety features like safety pads covering all the springs and the frame.
Apart from these, all trampolines for kids have a safety bar which your child can hold on to while jumping. This safety handle offers stability and prevents them from falling.
The safety handle is also covered with foam so that if they hit it, it is not very painful.
Larger trampoline models will have a safety enclosure, a protective net around the jumping pad which will prevent the kids from falling off the trampoline.
While mini trampolines are meant for using indoors if you want to use it outdoors, opt for a model which has a safety enclosure. This will ensure that your children are safe and do not fall off.
Which are the best trampolines for kids and what are our picks?
The Original Toy Company Fold & Go Trampoline review – Editor’s pick for the best trampoline for kids
The Original Toy Company Fold & Go Trampoline is the ideal trampoline out there for your kids. The trampoline can be assembled in 5 minutes or more and your kids are ready to have some fun.
Assembly is very easy, you need to unfold and trampoline body which is split in half and then snap it in place. This takes a little effort. Once that is done, you need to screw the six feet in place.
The Original Toy Company Fold & Go Trampoline has the jumping mat pre-assembled so you do not have to worry about setting it up. It is tested for a weight limit of up to 150 pounds.
The edges of the structure are padded making it extra safe. Further, there is a safety handle that the children can hold while jumping.
It weighs just 16.9 pounds so it is a very good option to take it with you on camping and outdoor trips so your kids can have fun on the go.
The recommended age by the manufacturer is three years to seven years.
The Fold and Go Trampoline meets and exceeds the standards set by the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) making this a safe option for your kids.
Little Tikes 3′ Trampoline review – Smart value pick for the best trampoline for kids
The Little Tikes 3′ Trampoline is a great budget trampoline for your kids. Its affordable price make it an ideal first trampoline for your kids before they move on to larger models.
It is very easy to assemble. The jumping mat is 3 feet in diameter. It is rated for only 55 pounds so it is not ideal for heavier kids but it is advertised for young kids and toddlers so that should not be a problem.
A great feature of this trampoline is that the safety handle is situated in the middle of the trampoline instead of the edges. This makes it safer to use as the weight is more balanced in the center of the trampoline.
The Little Tikes 3′ Trampoline weighs just 15.2 pounds so moving it around is not a problem. Can be setup for both indoors and outdoors play.
The recommended age by the manufacturer is three years to six years.
Little Tikes 7′ Trampoline review – Editor’s choice pick for the best kids trampoline for backyard
The Little Tikes 7′ Trampoline is the perfect outdoor trampoline for your kids. It is great for backyard activity for your childen.
This trampoline has a sturdy outer frame made of a combination of steel and blow-molded plastic. It requires some setup time due to its size.
The jumping mat is a little over 7 feet in diameter and the total structure stands at about 7 and a half feet. This one is definitely not for indoor fun.
The Little Tikes 7′ Trampoline has a safety net enclosure around it making it extra safe for your kids to bounce on. The springs are covered with a pad protector so that feet do not go through the springs.
It is rated for up to 100 pounds so it can take quite some weight.
This one is built for durability. The recommended age by the manufacturer is three years to ten years.
Health benefits of trampolines ?
- Improve motor skills: Trampolines help develop and improve motor skills in children. Jumping on trampolines involve both the brain and the body to coordinate. Timing their jumps and ensuring that they land safely needs focus and this activity improves it.
- Improve sensory skills: Jumping on a trampoline stimulates the sensory skills. The shift in the body position is too quick and there is a great deal of information that the brain process to make calculated decisions. Children who spend time on the trampolines have better hand-eye coordination.
- Improves flexibility: Jumping on a trampoline strengthens the muscles and bones and improves flexibility.
- Physical activity: Jumping on a trampoline is also a form of physical activity. Kids who do not actively engage in sports and other outdoor activities can still try trampolining because they see it as a fun activity.
Are trampolines safe for children?
Parents always have a concern whether a particular toy or activity is safe for their children. The same holds good for trampolining as well.
There have been studies and statistics regarding trampoline related injuries but these have been based on adults using trampolines.
There is no single study which speaks about numbers of injuries that are related to kids and trampolines.
That doesn’t mean that they are absolutely safe for children. As with any toy and activity with children, adult supervision can go to a great length to ensure that children are safe and stay injury-free, even while using trampolines.
Apart from these, they are general rules and guidelines when using trampolines that can make they safe. These suggestions also apply to older kids and adults too. Applying common sense where needed can go a long way to make our activities safe.
Trampoline safety rules
Follow these general guidelines when allowing your kids to play on trampolines and they should be safe.
- Do not allow your children on the trampoline with any adult supervision.
- Always ensure that the trampoline is placed on a flat surface. The feet should be fixed tightly and ensure that they do not wobble.
- Make sure that the springs and elastic straps are covered with padding. There should be no gaps through which the children’s feet can go through and cause injuries.
- The jumping mat should be absolutely dry. If the trampoline is being used outside, ensure that water doesn’t fall on it and make it wet. Water can cause it to become slippery and risk of injuries can arise.
- Always enforce the one child only on the trampoline rule. If you have more than one kid, let them wait for their turn. having two or more children on the trampoline at the same time is dangerous.
- Make sure that the trampoline is away from sharp and hard objects. this way, even if your child slips, he should not hit anything that can be dangerous.
- Always place the trampoline on a mat or on the grass outside to break accidental landings on a hard surface.
- Do not test or exceed the trampoline for its weight limit. Even though manufacturers claim a certain weight limit for their trampolines, it is safer to be always less than that for our own
- Do not allow any type of stunts or hanging on the safety handle. This can make the trampoline wobble.
- Check the trampoline periodically to ensure that the parts are all fine. There should be no holes on the jumping mat, no protruding springs or torn elastic bands and no bent feet.
Final thoughts on the best trampolines for kids
Getting your kids to engage in physical play is better for their health and well being. Trampolines are a great way to exercise and also help in the mental development as well as the development of other sensory perceptions in children. In this post, we reviewed some of the best mini trampolines for kids. We also gave safety tips to make trampolining fun and safe for kids. So what are you waiting for? Get your kids a trampoline of their own and let them start jumping!!!