Children have always been fascinated by magnets. For them, the pull and the push that the magnetic pieces demonstrate is simply magic. Thus, magnetic toys make an excellent gift item for children, especially in the age group of four to ten years.
Magnets help in developing cognitive and fine motor skills in children. Magnets also heighten the interest of children in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) fields and aspects such as design, geometry and patterns.
In this post, we look at some of the best magnetic construction toys for kids and discuss how they make for very good educational toys for children.
Best magnetic construction toys listA list of the best magnetic construction toys in the market
|Magna-Tiles Clear Colors|| - Suitable for children aged 3 years and up|
- 32 pieces set consisting of squares and triangles
- Colorful translucent tiles
- Strong magnets
|Magformers Standard Set|| - Affordable magnetic construction pieces|
- 30 pieces set consisting of squares and triangles
- Strong Neodymium magnets
- Can be used to construct various geometrical shapes
|Playmags 100 + 18 Piece Set|| - Suitable for children aged 3 years and up|
- Winner of the Dr. Toys 2013 award
- 100 of possibilities to create unique buildings, cars, shapes etc
|PicassoTiles 60 Piece Magnet Building Tiles|| - Suitable for children aged 3 years and up|
- 60 pieces set consisting of 5 different shapes
- Build massive shapes
|Magnetic Stick N Stack Magnetic Tiles Starter set|| - 60 pieces set|
- Compatible with other brands like PicassoTiles
- Brain Child award winner
|Tomy Gearation Refrigerator Magnets|| - Set of 6 interlocking gears|
- Strong magnets, can stick to any magnetic surface
- Let your child think of various ways to place and connect the gears
- Battery operated
|Magformers XL Cruisers Set|| - Magformers with wheels!|
- 32 pieces set, can be used to create cars and other moving shapes
- Shapes include squares, triangles and hexagons
|Magz 89 Building Kit|| - Suitable for children aged 5 years and up|
- Unique magnetic construction toy consisting of 89 pieces(37 connectors and 52 rods)
- Build interesting geometrical shapes and patterns
|Magz-Bricks Magnetic Building Set|| - 60 pieces set of identical shape and different colors|
- Build a variety of shapes and designs
|Tumble Trax Magnetic Marble Run|| - Magnetic marble run fun|
- Build your own marble run course or build anyone from the 10 included activity cards
- Can stick to any magnetic surface
- Winner of the Toy Industry Association 2016 Specialty Toy of the Year Award
|Tegu Magnetic Wooden Block Set|| - Uniquely designed magnetic wooden blocks|
- The 24 pieces set comes with 6 different shaped blocks
- Let your imagination run wild and build unique designs
|Goobi Master Magnet Construction Set|| - Enormous 200 pieces magnetic construction set|
- Build unique geometrical patterns and shapes
- Creative Child Magazine Multiple Award Winner
Advantages of magnetic toys
- As opposed to electronic toys, most magnetic toys do not need batteries to run. As a result, the operating cost of these toys is very less.
- There is no major maintenance requirement associated with such toys as most magnetic toys do not have any moving parts.
- Most magnetic toys, such magnetic building blocks and magnetic construction toys provide a premise for problem-solving and out of the box thinking. This helps in developing interest in STEM fields.
- Because of their ingenious designs, magnetic toys are addictive and captivating for most kids. The children can spend hours of quiet playtime with these.
- Magnetic toys are also good for collaborative play and improving social skills.
How to pick a good magnetic construction toy
While the market is flooded with a variety of magnetic toys, it becomes extremely difficult for parents to pick the right toy. The perfect toy should not only provide hours of entertainment, it should also be helpful in the child’s growth and development.
Consider the following factors when picking a good magnetic construction toy.
- Number of pieces
- Quality of build
- Design of the pieces
Number of pieces
Magnetic construction toys aim at providing children an option to build structures using their imagination. Children find it quite intriguing to create something by just putting pieces together. This can go for so long as the pieces last. To be honest, no number of pieces can satisfy a child’s creativity but give her at least a reasonable number to start with.
Some magnetic building toy sets come with 6-8 pieces, hardly enough for anything. While building something out of those number of pieces can be a challenge for an older child or even a grown-up, younger children will be frustrated with it.
Always consider buying a set which has the maximum number of pieces the range can offer, 25 pieces and more is a good starting point.
If your child shows interest and creativity and is fascinated with the toy, you always have the option to gift them another similar or larger set that can add to the existing set. This way, the child has more options to explore.
Quality of build
The build quality of the magnetic blocks or tiles is of utmost importance because of children, as they are, tend to be not very careful with them.
Most children toys are made of hard plastic and are durable but it is best to feel the pieces to ensure that they do have a durable feel to it.
Design of the pieces
The design of the magnetic blocks or tiles plays an important role when it comes to how productive children become with.
The pieces should be easy to put, assemble or take apart. They should fit nicely into the small hands of children.
There should not be many variations in the shape of the pieces as this may confuse the child initially. 3 or 4 variations in the design are enough to get them started.
There should be a clear symmetry in how the pieces interact with each other. For example, all pieces of the same shape should have common attach points so that the child do not have to think in a different way. Mental simulation, of course, is the focus of these toys but it should not lead to frustration.
The pieces should be brightly colored so as to pique the interest of the child.
Which are the best magnetic construction toys and what our top picks are?
Magna-Tiles Clear Colors
The Magna-Tiles Clear Colors set is a magnetic construction set consisting of 32 pieces of colorful tiles consisting of squares and triangles of different sizes. Specifically, the set contains 14 small squares, 2 large squares, 4 isosceles triangles (two sides equal), 4 right triangles and 8 equilateral triangles (all sides equal).
This set makes a perfect gift for children aged 3 years and above. The child can use the set to make form objects ranging from rockets, cars, houses, buildings and other geometrical shapes.
All tiles come in translucent colors. Their unique selling point is their strong magnets which stick nicely with each other and can be used to create a variety of shapes and patterns. They provide for endless hours of fun playtime for your children and help boost their logical, mathematical and problem-solving abilities.
Magformers Standard Set
The Magformers Standard Set is a 30 pieces set consisting of 18 squares and 12 triangles of same size that allow creation of various geometrical shapes.
The pieces have Neodymium magnets and will snap together every time without repulsion.
The pieces are cut out shapes so are easy to hold for smaller children. Unlike other magnetic building blocks, the Magformers Standard Set allow for the creation of open-ended structures. They help develop an interest in building mechanics and architecture among children.
They will account for endless hours of problem-solving fun for children of all ages and will definitely help develop their cognitive and fine motor skills.
Safety tips when playing with magnetic toys
Although the toys listed above are safe for children, it goes without saying to be extra cautious with them when children are involved. Follow these safety tips when playing with magnetic toys.
- As with any other toy, parents should always check the recommended age of the magnetic toy set. There is a reason a specifically recommended age is specified on every toy set and it should be strictly followed.
- Rare earth magnets like Neodymium have stronger attraction forces than regular magnets and hence are preferred for such toys. However, ingesting two or more of such magnets can cause internal damage to the child. Always check, that no magnet in the set is loose and out of the tiles or blocks.
- Magnets can cause interference with electronic devices, so keep them away from such devices.
Final thoughts on the best magnetic construction toys for children
Magnetic construction sets are a great idea for toys and gifts for children. They are educational in nature and help children interested in a variety of topics like geometry, architecture and problem-solving at a very young age.
They are safe, have zero operating cost and offer endless hours of playtime for children.
In this post, we listed some of the best magnetic construction tiles and blocks that can provide great entertainment for you and your children.
We hope that you found this article useful. Let us know your thoughts by commenting below. Till then, have a fun time with kids!!